Article Text

Download PDFPDF

Spinal cord necrosis after intrathecal injection of methylene blue.
  1. M M Sharr,
  2. R O Weller,
  3. J G Brice


    A 59 year old man had 6 ml of unbuffered methylene blue injected into the lumbar theca in an attempt to localise the source of cerebrospinal fluid rhinorrhoea. After injection of the dye he became shocked, and within the next few days he developed a mild paraparesis which subsequently progressed to a total paraplegia. The distribution of the spinal cord damage found at necropsy, eight and a half years after injection of the dye, is described and its relationship to the clinical picture discussed.

    Statistics from

    Request Permissions

    If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.