Article Text

Download PDFPDF
Effect of a multidisciplinary amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) clinic on ALS survival: a population based study, 1996–2000
  1. B J Traynor1,*,
  2. M Alexander1,
  3. B Corr1,
  4. E Frost2,
  5. O Hardiman1
  1. 1Department of Neurology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
  2. 2The Irish MND Association, Coleraine House, Dublin, Ireland
  1. Correspondence to:
 Dr Traynor, Massachusetts General Hospital East, Cecil B. Day Lab, Building 114, Room 3125, 16th Street, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA; 


Background: In recent years, there has been a paradigm shift in the method of healthcare delivery to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) patients with the emergence of multidisciplinary ALS clinics that cater exclusively for patients with this condition. The impact of multidisciplinary management has not been previously evaluated.

Methods: Using data from the Irish ALS Register, we conducted a prospective, population based study of all ALS cases diagnosed in Ireland over a five year period to evaluate the effectiveness of a multidisciplinary clinic on ALS survival.

Results: Eighty two (24%) patients attended the multidisciplinary ALS clinic, with the remaining 262 (76%) cases followed in a general neurology clinic. The ALS clinic cohort was an average of five years younger (60.1 v 65.6 years) and were more likely to receive riluzole than the general neurology cohort (99% v 61%). The median survival of the ALS clinic cohort was 7.5 months longer than for patients in the general neurology cohort (logrank = 15.4, p < 0.0001). Overall, one year mortality was decreased by 29.7%. Prognosis of bulbar onset patients was extended by 9.6 months if they attended the ALS clinic. Using multivariate analysis, attendance at the ALS clinic was an independent covariate of survival (HR = 1.47, p = 0.02).

Conclusions: ALS patients who received their care at a multidisciplinary clinic had a better prognosis than patients attending a general neurology clinic. The data suggest that active and aggressive management enhances survival, particularly among ALS patients with bulbar dysfunction. The effect of clinic type must be considered in future clinical trials design.

  • amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
  • Ireland
  • multidisciplinary clinic
  • survival
  • population based
  • ALS, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
  • IMNDA, Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association
  • NIPPV, non-invasive positive pressure ventilation

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.


  • * BJT is currently with the Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston Ma, USA